Pages

Nov 23, 2011

Mmmmmmm Brine!

And I'm not talking about the skrimps! For those of you who have never had it, it is A M A Z I N G. The first time I had brined turkey I was at my brothers, juiciest turkey I ever done had (southern accent)! Then I got my Canadian friend some brine, Canadians love brine. Now enough playing around, on to the seriousnesses of turkey brining. More after Le Yump!

Brought to you by the letter "G". "G" is for gullet. Gullet is what this hot meat will be sliding down. Ok, for really reals this time.
There actually is some science behind brining lean meats. In a recent cooking sesh J. Kenji López-Alt decided to test some theories so he tested 3 different types of preparation of turkey. "The untreated turkey breast, which ends up losing around 24% of its weight in moisture-loss during cooking. The brined turkey, on the other hand, lost only about 15% of its weight, while the water-soaked turkey lost around 20%. Clearly, brining works, and it's specifically the salt in the soak that helps the turkey retain moisture while its cooking."

If you want to read the whole truth and nothing but the truth, take the internet warp button over to Kenji's site!

No comments:

Post a Comment