Pages

Dec 16, 2011

Time to break out Santa's milk and wookies!






How's it going, geeks? I know you're all excited for Christmas or some other holiday this December. Heck, maybe you're just excited because this year is almost over and we only have approximately 388 days until we either burn in a fiery Mayan demise or live, laugh, have a beer and die another day.

Whatever you may be looking forward to, I personally celebrate Christmas because I get presents. So, in order to get into the holiday spirit, I thought I'd help you decorate this year. I know, I'm always looking out for you. You can send me money as thanks. Or just worship me for being an a holiday geek goddess. And I don't want fruit or any crap like that...BRING ME YOUR ELECTRONICS!

Yes, the sweet aroma of burning silicon pleases me. So here it is, a list of sites with awesome decoration ideas...and of you're lucky, I might tell you a few of my own favorites after the jump.



This site has a collection of 15 geeky decorations which will inspire anyone who has a warm, fuzzy spot in their arteries for Sci-Fi or Technology. There's no info on how to make these or if they can be bought, but I know the Star Wars figurine wreath comes from Bonnie Burton's Star Wars Craft Book (which contained the epic R2-D2 Beanie and a few other items which were worth checking out).
I KNOW you have Legos. With them, it can be the most beautiful Christmas your home has ever known. I know these masterful ornaments are going on my tree this year...if I can manage to make them without turning hulk and crushing them all to bits when they turn out looking like something a 3 year old would tell you is a dog but really looks like a terrifying demon monkey from hades.

Three words: knitted Death Star. No, I'm not joking, it exists. I know it's not strictly a holiday decoration, but I'm sticking that sucker above my door instead of mistletoe. If you hang it with some garland it looks festive, right?
The folks at this site know how to deck the halls in a geeky way, and they have some good ideas on how to do it. They recommend LED throwies for your shining holiday cheer needs around the house. I haven't tried this one, but I will once the master lets me out of the dungeon for snacky time. Ooh! Do I smell snausages?


Alright, that's enough of the random sites with cool ideas that I'm trying to get you excited about instead of writing original material. Here are some DIY ways to make your Christmas more geeky-- because who wants to go buy a ton of standard decorations? Every grandma has the inflated Santa from Lowe's sitting on her front lawn...but now you can pwn her decorations by having an EPIC geekmas.

  1. You know all those figurines you keep on your bookshelf? Make them part of the holidays by using them as tree ornaments. Just tie a string around Spiderman's neck, hang him on the tree, and BAM. Suddenly your geek clutter has become a timeless part of the holidays. No geeky toy figures? Try making felt cutouts of your favorite characters to hang on the tree instead.
  2. Need wall decorations? There are some awesome Star Wars-themed snowflakes you can make and hang from pretty much anywhere (templates are available at Anthony Herrera Designs). These are festive, crafty, and an inexpensive way to make the holidays bright and geeky.
That's pretty much all you need to do IN the house to get in the Christmas spirit, and personally, the most I'd ever do outdoors (because there's sun out there) would be arrange my lights into the shape of a UFO beaming up Santa and his reindeer.

How about you geeks out there? What do you do to make the holidays festive?

No comments:

Post a Comment